Species of the suborder
Stereospondyli lived during theTriassic period. They evoloved
from the Rhachitomes (like Eryops)
The Stereospondyli were the most abundant animals of the Triassic
period. Some of these animals grew relatively large.
· While the Rhachitomes were mainly land-living amphibians,
the Stereospondyli were aquatic animals.
· Because they were aquatic amphibians, Stereospondyli had
more simplified backbones.
· Stereospondyli were the largest amphibians.
· Some had heads that were grotesquely larger than their bodies.
· Their skeletons were realtively increased in cartilage and
decreased in bone.
At the end of the Triassic period, Stereospondyli became extinct.
a species of
If you would
like more information on the subjects featured above, see these other Web